Real-time Large-deformation Substructuring
ACM SIGGRAPH 2011
- Paper (PDF, 8 Mb)
- Video (Quicktime MP4, 108 Mb)
- Conference presentation slides (Powerpoint PPT, 72 Mb)
- Code (Polar Decomposition Gradient)
- Oak Tree Video (1920x1080) (Quicktime MP4, 33 Mb)
Jernej Barbič, Yili Zhao:
Real-time Large-deformation Substructuring, ACM Transactions on Graphics 30(4) (SIGGRAPH 2011), Aug 2011. BIBTEX
This paper shows a method to extend 3D nonlinear elasticity model reduction to open-loop multi-level reduced deformable structures. Given a volumetric mesh, we decompose the mesh into several subdomains, build a reduced deformable model for each domain, and connect the domains using inertia coupling. This makes model reduction deformable simulations much more versatile: localized deformations can be supported without prohibitive computational costs, parts can be re-used and precomputation times shortened. Our method does not use constraints, and can handle large domain rigid body motion in addition to large deformations, due to our derivation of the gradient and Hessian of the rotation matrix in polar decomposition. We show real-time examples with multi-level domain hierarchies and hundreds of reduced degrees of freedom.Comments, questions to Jernej Barbič.
- Physics-based Character Skinning using Multi-Domain Subspace Deformations (Theodore Kim and Doug L. James)
- Real-Time Subspace Integration for St.Venant-Kirchhoff Deformable Models
- NSF (CAREER-53-4509-6600)
- James H. Zumberge Research and Innovation Fund at the Office of the Provost at the University of Southern California
Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
The documents contained in these directories are included by the contributing authors as a means to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work on a non-commercial basis. Copyright and all rights therein are maintained by the authors or by other copyright holders, notwithstanding that they have offered their works here electronically. It is understood that all persons copying this information will adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's copyright. These works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.